Friday, November 26, 2010



We are decorating for Christmas today! And by "!", I mean...the kids are in my way today!

I just overheard Sydney say to Colin, "hold on, let me get scissors to cut you some breathing holes". I probably took longer than I should have to respond because an unconscious child is a child who is not underfoot. Amen? Anyway, when I finally did go out to the living room, they'd removed the tree from it's giant box and were using it as a coffin. Play on.

This morning we've had broken things, tangled things, and not-put-up-how-Mommy-would-like things. They've been under my feet, at my elbow, and up my behind. There's been yelling and there has been whining.

But you know what? There has also been dancing, singing along to favorite CDs, laughing, and a constant exclamation of "remember THIS?" as we open each box that has been packed away for the past 300+ days. (I'm guessing Colin could have that exact number if needed.)

I have a lump in my throat as I consider that another year has just passed. This year as we deck the halls around here, they are on my nerves. Next year, they'll probably be on my nerves again. Then there will be a handful of years where they'll most likely be--dare I say--helpful. Then they'll ask to skip it to go to the mall with their friends.

Then they'll be gone.

So today? I'll take it.

No comments: