Tuesday, December 21, 2010



Sydney is a bit of a...shall we say...story stretcher. She doesn't often outright lie, but she often outright "embellishes". Therefore, at the dinner table many of her stories are met with raised eyebrows, and she is forced to defend them.

Tonight at the dinner table.

Sydney: Guys, wanna hear the saddest thing?

Us: What's that, Syd?

Sydney: Ya know Ben in my class? Guess what? He passed away.

Me: Really, Syd? Oh no. That's awful. Here's the thing, though. I'm pretty sure that Mrs. Darois would have sent me a note or something if one of your friends had passed away?

Sydney: I'm not lying! He did! He did pass away.

Colin: I don't think that's true, Sydney.

Me: Sydney, I can email your teacher, but I think you have that wrong.

Now in earnest, Sydney: You guys, he DID! He passed away to Littleton. I'm NOT LYING.

Unable to control my laughter, Me: Sydney. Do you know what "passed away" means?

Now offended that we are laughing at her: Yeah, of course I do. It means you moved.

Forehead on the table, dying laughing, Me: Sydney, passed away means someone DIED. He did not DIE, he MOVED.

Long pause.

All of us rolling in laughter. Sydney still pausing.

Suddenly, she speaks. Sydney: Well then CRAP.

US: What?

Sydney: We wrote notes to him to say we were sorry, and I think I might have written sorry you passed away. CRAP.

And we all just may never stop laughing.

That girl. I wouldn't want to imagine a day without her.

3 comments:

~crazyauntkatie. said...

HAH!

Colin Ochocinco said...

R.I.P. Ben McKenzie of Littleton!

~endnbalockoutcolin said...

Sydney,
You are one of a kind of a sister but please never say the words Passed and Away together again. Well, actually, maybe that did make me laugh hard enough to say to say it again. But Never Say Never, Syd! Your life motto is "Never Say Never". Just don't. I promise it will get you a good degree in college if you never say never. You are the best!
~~Colin